Saturday, January 23, 2016

Think of a City - The Dark

Another aspect that I really appreciate about Think of a City is its restraint.  Every post is the same, starting with the image, listing its number / title, and crediting its creator (along with links to their online presence).  That's it.  Every time, the same, simple repetition.  It feels like a very fair way to present these many beautiful pieces.

I think of that because for every single entry I'm taking inspiration from I want to express some aspect of what I admire about it.  But I also don't want to simply repeat myself ad nauseam.  Looking at Christopher Sebela's 023, I want to gush at the incredible way he's continued the cycle of taking inspiration from previous entries, while still taking things in a completely new direction.  I want to rave at how beautiful the composition is, both in its distorted reflection and silhouetted hints of civilization.  But I wonder if I haven't used similar sentiments for earlier works.  Part of me thinks I should go back to confirm, maybe rewrite if I have, but another part knows that those are two things that really grab me about it and wants to be honest to those feelings.

And then at the same time, I wonder if maybe I should just throw down the credits, give the image, and present the script.  Today I've clearly gone for the middle approach, but I thought you might be curious about some of the method behind this madness.  If not, I've still got the script down below that'll hopefully be of greater interest.


1 - Bird's-eye view of a city at night, its lights burning brightly against the darkness.

CAPTION: It's no surprise that our cities bathe the world in light.

2 - Moving closer to the city, to the point where individual buildings can be made out.  A blackout is in the midst of occurring, with a wave of darkness crossing the panel.

CAPTION: After all...

3 - Approaching street-level of a neighbourhood.  There are no lights to speak of.  Shadowy buildings loom all about, details mostly decipherable through their absence.

CAPTION: We've always been scared of the dark.

4 - People come out into the streets, look out their windows, climb to their roofs, and so forth to see what's happening.  Everyone is looking up to the sky, some pointing, others simply taking in what they see.

CAPTION: But in trying to eliminate it, we too often forget an important truth.

5 - On the night sky.  It is brightly coloured with stars, comets, the northern lights, or whatever natural phenomena you think would most effectively show off its brilliance (not unlike Christopher's image, of course).  The tops of some buildings might be visible near the bottom of the panel, but it's by no means necessary.

CAPTION: Just because there's no light, doesn't mean there's nothing beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment