Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Five Page Stories - How-To - Page 1

Since the start of 2016, I've been endeavouring to write a minimum of one page of comic book script a day.  As you may have noticed following my Think of a City project, I've been relatively successful at the goal thus far.

However, as the New Year came about, I saw that the venerable Ryan K. Lindsay was intending to come up with #366stories, that is to say, create one story idea every day for the year.  I've always believed that when you steal you should steal from the best, so I nicked that idea right quick and have been doing exactly that as well.

I figured now would be a good time to reap some of the fruit from that labour, so I'm going to use some of those story ideals to fuel these weekly 5-page comic book scripts I've foolishly decided to write.

This week is based on the idea I came up with on January 2:

Dreaming of becoming a hero, a young man orders a how-to guide.  The one he receives explains how to be a villain.

Maybe not a revolutionary idea, but I think it should be a fine place to start.  Will it be enough for five-pages?  Will it all hang together?  Only one way to find out.

1 - Three superhero sidekicks sit on a couch, watching TV - Power Lad, a young adult street-level hero with some tasteful spandex; Minnow, an anthropomorphic fishman; and ROBerta, a female android.  Power Lad is holding court, talking to his friends.  Minnow is distracted by what's on TV.

POWER LAD: ...I'm just saying, I don't want to be a sidekick forever.

TV: Hey you!

2 - On the TV.  A superhero - Captain Cosmic (complete with cape, undies on the outside, and a planet-shaped logo on his chest) - stands, looking out towards the viewer with an earnest expression on his face.

CAPTAIN COSMIC (from TV): Do you want to help the helpless, do good, and save the day?

3 - On the TV.  Captain Cosmic holds up a book that reads "Zero to Hero".  "Call Now!" is written at the bottom of the screen.

CAPTAIN COSMIC (1): Then I have just the thing for you!

CAPTAIN COSMIC (2): I guarantee you'll be a great hero in 30 days or your money back!

4 - Back on the friends on the couch.  ROBberta and Minnow are laughing at Power Lad as he walks off in a huff towards the kitchen.

ROBERTA: ha!ha!

MINNOW: There you go!  You'll be all set, PL.

POWER LAD: Whatever, Minnow.  I'm getting a beer.  You guys want anything?

5 - In the kitchen.  Power Lad hides behind the fridge (keeping it between him and the living room), holding his phone to his ear and looking about warily in case someone sees him.

MINNOW (from other room): Yeah, grab me whatever's cold.

POWER LAD: (quietly): Hello?  I'd look to order a book...

Next page.

No comments:

Post a Comment