Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tick-Tock

            Tick, tick, tick.
            I'm at work. I'm sitting at my desk. Staring. Listening. Waiting.
            It's been a long day. And it's still in the early stages.
            My screen flickers before me. The words, the numbers, the figures have lost all of their meaning. Gibberish scrawled across an endless field of artificial light.
            I try to focus, but everything is too loud. Machines hum noisily. People natter relentlessly. Phones rings constantly. No one answers. Nothing stops.
            It surrounds me. Invades my space. Storms my thoughts.
            In desperation, I look to the clock for comfort. It reads 10:43.
            Still.
            Tick, tick, tick.

Guess who had a long day at the office?  They say to write what you know; I feel like today gave me a pretty good handle on time's sometimes slow passage.  I'll leave that for you to decide however.

No comments:

Post a Comment