Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Weekly Pull - August 3rd

As I mentioned last time, I am now throwing up my pull list over at the Weekly Crisis, and if you'd like to look over some of my anticipatory thoughts on the books I bought this week, you can check them out here.  Additionally, you can look over my reviews for a number of these books right here.

As you can see, I had quite a number of books to pick up for the opening week of August.

Marvel
MYSTIC #1 (OF 4)
OZ MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ TP
PUNISHER #1

DC Comics
BATMAN GATES OF GOTHAM #4 (OF 5)
FLASHPOINT #4 (OF 5)
FLASHPOINT BATMAN KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #3 (OF 3)
SCALPED #51
SWEET TOOTH #24

Other Companies
GREEN WAKE #5
HERO COMICS 2011
ROGER LANGRIDGE’S SNARKED #0
SEVERED #1

If you were to compare this list to my preview article, you would notice that both The Marvelous Land of Oz trade paperback and Hero Comics 2011 are absent from the latter.  That's because I decided to pick these two books up on a bit of a whim.  I still haven't gone through The Marvelous Land of Oz, but I am really excited to get the chance.  I absolutely adore Skottie Young's art.  Relatively recent to the comic book scene, he has a gorgeous style that is unlike anything else going on right now.  Can't wait to read some comics drawn by his hand.

Hero Comics 2011 was an odd kettle of fish, because it was an anthology book to benefit the Hero Initiative, which exists to help out comic book creators when they are in financial crisis.  A fine organization, they managed to get some fine creators for the book.  I decided to grab it when I heard that the original Sandman creative team of Neil Gaiman, Mike Dringenberg, and Sam Kieth were collaborating on one of the stories within.  I haven't actually read Sandman (something I hope to soon rectify), but I do know that if those folk are working on something, you should be reading it.  Their short piece, "My Last Landlady" was pretty darn fine and worth the cover price alone.  As an added bonus, I discovered that John Layman and Rob Guillory made an original Chew story for the book as well, which was great.  Anthologies are always fun, in my opinion, because you get to read work by a number of different creators, and you sometimes discover authors that you had never heard of before.  Not so much the case this time, but a fine read nonetheless.

It was a pretty big week, but if the solicitations for the rest of the month are any indication, my book purchasing looks like it will only continue to rise in the next few weeks.  We'll see how able I am to resist the siren call of event tie-in books.  If my track record is any indication, I'm going to be shelling out a lot of dollars.

1 comment:

  1. Sandman is very much awesome. While not for everyone, it is probably the comic experience I have the most enjoyed in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete