Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review - Flashpoint - Citizen Cold #1

Flashpoint - Citizen Cold #1
Written by : Scott Kolins
Art by: Scott Kolins

I want to like this book.  I really do.  I've never been a huge Flash fan, but I've always held a special place in my heart for the Rogues.  Something about their sense of brotherhood and loyalty is rather appealing and each member has a certain je ne sais quoi to them.  Chief among that would be Captain Cold, who by all logic, should be kind of lame, but somehow manages to combine the troubled childhood, ridiculous costume, and cold powers to make for a compelling character.

Therefore, a Flashpoint tie-in focusing on a re-imagined Captain Cold (here Citizen Cold) as a morally bankrupt villain masquerading as a hero to the people of Central City should be a home run, right?  Well, not so much.

Kolins is, in the minds of many, the Flash artist.  And while I personally prefer Francis Manipul's recent run on The Flash, I will not argue that Kolins can draw some mighty fine pictures.  However, despite his experience with the Scarlet Speedster, the writing on this issue leaves a lot to be desired.  There are a lot of interesting elements on display throughout the issue, including Citizen Cold trying to maintain the illusion that he is the hero Central City believes him to be, the incarcerated Rogues plotting to get their revenge on the man who has put them all behind bars, and Iris and Wally's investigative reporting to figure out just who this Citizen Cold really is.  However, these parts never really combine into a cohesive whole.  Kolins clearly knows his stuff, but there is something missing from this series that results in a well-drawn, but ultimately flat narrative.

Final Thoughts - I don't have much more to add on this one.  I'm sorry to say that, despite my interest, I will not be picking up the next issues in this series.  I know there are only two to go, but this book simply failed to connect with me on any level.  If you're a big Flash fan, I imagine there's something in here for you, but even then, it might not be enough.  If you're not that hot on the Flash or his Rogues, I would recommend giving this book a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment