Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Weekly Pull - June 15th

Here's my list of what comics I'll be buying this week.  A bit light, compared to my regular numbers, but I am excited nonetheless. There look to be a lot of good comics coming out this week.

Marvel
ALPHA FLIGHT #1 (OF 8) FEAR

DC
BATGIRL #22
FLASHPOINT LEGION OF DOOM #1 (OF 3)
FLASHPOINT WONDER WOMAN AND THE FURIES #1 (OF 3)
POWER GIRL #25

Other Companies
GLADSTONE’S SCHOOL FOR WORLD CONQUERORS #2
GODZILLA GANGSTERS & GOLIATHS #1 (OF 5)
KIRBY GENESIS #1

After being severely underwhelmed by last week's Fear Itself: Deadpool #1, I swore that I would not buy another book related to Marvel's questionable summer event. As you can see, with my intention to purchase Alpha Flight #1, it only took a week to renege on that promise, but it's not my fault. The 0.1 introductory issue was pretty strong, providing for some surprisingly current Canadian political commentary in the middle of a rather enjoyable superhero story. Since the first issue is by the same creative team, I hope that it will be just as good. If it can be like Jeff Lemire's Frankenstein #1 from last week, spending time ensuring that it tells a good story instead of making sure that it ties-in to the wider Marvel Universe, I will be happy. We'll see how that goes.

The rest of the week is a mix of my regular pickups and forays into new books / limited series.

Both Batgirl #22 and Powergirl #25 fall into the former category of old-standbys, and both of these books will tragically not be surviving DC's September reboot. However, while Judd Winick (write of Power Girl) will be switching to a few different books come the Fall, Bryan Q. Miller (Batgirl's writer) has been left entirely out of the whole event. That news really disappointed me, because Batgirl is easily one of my favourite superhero comics coming out right now. It does everything I could want a superhero comic to do. It's fun, funny, and does a great job of making sure that every issue is a complete story. I will miss Miller's work with Stephanie Brown and I will miss him come September. In the meantime, I look forward to the few issues of Batgirl that are still to come.

I'll be trying a few more of the Flashpoint tie-ins. As a primarily DC reader, they have more appeal to me than Marvel's Fear Itself work, but they also benefit from their relation to DC's old Elseworlds books. I've mentioned that here and there throughout my reviews, but Elseworlds is one of the best things DC ever did, in my opinion. Telling stories about their iconic characters that take place in slightly different worlds has made for some of the best comics I've read. While these current Flashpoint titles aren't exactly Red Son or Gotham by Gaslight, they have been generally enjoyable thus far, which is enough to get me to try out a few more.

Finally, we have a smattering of different books from the “Other Companies”, as I insist on calling them. Gladstone's School for World Conquerors is a fun premise of a school for young supervillains. The first issue was good enough to get me to come back for issue 2, and I'm too big of a sucker for kid's comics to not be checking it out. I don't know anything about Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths #1, except that it's written by John Layman, the writer of the wonderfully irreverent Chew, which is all I need to know. As for Kirby Genesis #1, it combines characters created by Jack Kirby with the creative team of Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross.  Additionally, I picked up the preview issue 0, and it wasn't too bad.  Hopefully the actual series can deliver on those early promises.


What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment