Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Weekly Pull - June 29th

Oh man.  After a month of relative restraint, it seems as if I am back to buying all of the comics.  It kind of crept up on me, but there have been a number of factors that didn't help matters.

For one thing, it seems as if Marvel is saving every single Spider-Man title I follow for a single week, so I find myself picking up FF #5, Amazing Spider-Man #664, and Venom #4.  Not that I'm complaining, because all of those books have been absolutely top-notch of late.  I'm also super excited for Incredible Hulks Annual #1, which will be finishing John Layman's (of Chew fame) epic three annual spanning tale featuring Spider-Man, Deadpool, and the Hulk.  The first two parts of this story actually came out, like, over a month ago, so I almost missed this one on the solicitations for the week.  I'm glad I ended up finding it.

Over on the DC front, it seems as if they've done the same thing as Marvel, except it's Batman books instead of our friendly neighbourhood webhead.  The only difference is that I'm actually more excited for Batman Incorporated #7 and Detective Comics #878.  Grant Morrison's run on Batman has been nothing short of legendary, and Scott Snyder's more recent take on the Caped Crusader in Detective is almost as good.  Of course, I can't just buy one of Snyder's books, so I'm continuing to pick up my monthly dose of American Vampire with number 16.  You'll also note that I'm picking up every single Flashpoint book that's coming out this week.  After buying almost every other tie-in, I figured I might as well give the rest of the series a shot (especially since two of these are one-shots).

There is also a healthy dose of smaller company books on my list, as I'm picking up one Dark Horse and two Image books.  I've been enjoying Butcher Baker Righteous Maker thus far.  It's a superhero book with an attitude unlike most everything else on the stands.  I've really enjoyed every single issue of Skullkickers that's come out and have high hopes for number 8.  And though I've never bought an issue of Goon, I've read my fair share through library and friend borrowing.  I'm excited to see something new after two years away for the series.

You can see all fifteen books I'm buying below.

Marvel

FF #5
INCREDIBLE HULKS ANNUAL #1
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #664
VENOM #4

DC Comics
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #16
BATMAN INCORPORATED #7
DETECTIVE COMICS #878
FLASHPOINT GREEN ARROW INDUSTRIES #1
FLASHPOINT HAL JORDAN #1 (OF 3)
FLASHPOINT PROJECT SUPERMAN #1 (OF 3)
FLASHPOINT THE CANTERBURY CRICKET #1
SCALPED #50
THUNDER AGENTS #8

Other Companies
BUTCHER BAKER RIGHTEOUS MAKER #4
GOON #34
SKULLKICKERS #8

As stated above, I'm excited for almost every single book on this list and I've spoken about most of them.  However, there are two that I've left out until now: THUNDER Agents #8 and Scalped #50.

As some of you may recall, the first review I wrote for this blog was THUNDER Agents #7.  It was a phenomenal issue, and I've been eagerly awaiting the next one since that time.  When DC announced all 52 titles for their relaunch and Nick Spencer's THUNDER Agents wasn't there, I was pretty crestfallen, so I was quite happy to hear that it would be back in October with all new issues to continue the wonderful story that he has been telling.  Knowing that there are lots of issues left in this series makes me very, very happy, and if you aren't picking this book up, you definitely should be.It was an exciting process for me, and one I continue to enjoy.  Taking a closer look at that book  like to think that I've gotten a bit better since that time, 

As for Scalped, I must give credit where credit is due.  I had read through the first two volumes earlier this year, but really wasn't grabbed by the story.  However, two weeks ago, Ryan K. Lindsay suggested the series' protagonist, Dashiell Bad Horse, as the subject over at thoughtballoons.  In preparing for my script, I ended up reading every single issue through a combination of borrowing from the library and friends (and picking up an issue or two along the way).  All that said, I have yet to buy an issue the week it hits stands.  I'm very excited to be starting, especially with the 50th book in the series.  I don't know if it'll be any longer or if it'll acknowledge how many issues have come out, but it doesn't matter.  Jason Aaron is writing one of the best comics out there right now, and you should be following this one, too.

(As a side note: you should go check out the scripts that dropped for the Dashiell Bad Horse week if you haven't already seen them.  We have a talented crew over at thoughtballoons, but the pages they put up that week were some of the best I've seen.  You can find 'em all conveniently listed at this link here)

1 comment:

  1. The Batmans were both really good (for me), so yay!

    And yes. Thunger Agents is awesome. Im also glad I picked it up on a whim. Sometimes I guess advertising DOES work?

    ReplyDelete