Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Weekly Pull - June 8th

Here's my list of comics I'll be buying at my local shop today, and as you can see, I've buckled under the pressure and am picking up three of the four Flashpoint titles releasing this week.  Not doing so great anymore, it would seem.  Unfortunately, the siren calls of Citizen Cold, Deathstroke the pirate, and Frankenstein have won me over.  It really wasn't my intention to pick up those books, but each one was simply too enticing for me to resist.


Captain Cold has long been my favourite of Flash's rogue, so I can't say no to a three issue limited series focusing on an Elseworlds-esque version of him where he might be a reformed bad guy or maybe is still a bad guy masquerading as a good guy.  Too exciting!


As for Deathstroke, I've never really enjoyed him as a character in DC's comics, but his few page appearance in Flashpoint #2 last week really piqued my interest.  Pirates are pretty neat, and I imagine that superhero pirates will be even neater?  I'll let you know.


Of the three, I am probably have the most confidence in Frankenstein: Creatures of the Unknown #1, because Jeff Lemire is writing it, and as I've said over and over, I think Jeff Lemire is great.  Through the many announcements DC has been making for their reboot in September, they've actually given Jeff Lemire the new Frankenstein book, so I'm choosing to take that as a vote of confidence for Lemire's ability to pen Frankensteinian adventures.


With all that preamble, here's the list.


Marvel
FEAR ITSELF DEADPOOL #1 (OF 3) FEAR

MYSTERY MEN #1 (OF 5)

DC
AMERICAN VAMPIRE SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST #1 (OF 5)
BIRDS OF PREY #13
FLASHPOINT CITIZEN COLD #1 (OF 3)
FLASHPOINT DEATHSTROKE THE CURSE OF RAVAGER #1 (OF 3)
FLASHPOINT FRANKENSTEIN CREATURES OF THE  UNKNOWN #1 (OF 3)
SWEET TOOTH TP V3 ANIMAL ARMIES
UNWRITTEN #26

Other Companies
BLUE ESTATE #3
GREEN WAKE #3 (OF 5)
MORNING GLORIES #10

With all those Flashpoint books and the fact that Chris Hastings of Doctor McNinja fame is writing the Fear Itself Deadpool tie-in book, that means I'm buying four event comics this week.  I'd be a little upset about that, but as long as they're good, I don't have a major issue with event comics.

Despite my prior calls for fiscal austerity, I find myself buying a ton of books.  A little frustrating, but I'm actually super excited for virtually every single book on this list.

I've been happily following Unwritten since issue #1, and have been blown away by every single issue.  Things have been heating up of late (as they always seem to be), and Tom Taylor and the gang look to be in deep trouble.  I can't wait to see how they manage to get out of it!

The new American Vampire spin-off book looks absolutely phenomenal.  It combines two of my favourite things: Scott Snyder's fantastic writing and Sean Murphy's beautiful art.  I'm guessing the two will combine for a can't miss issue.

I don't know particularly much about the Mystery Men series that I'm buying the first issue from, but it sounds like it's right up my alley.  A bunch of pulp heroes, written and drawn in the pulp style, getting up to pulp activities.  Colour me pulp excited.

What about you virtual guys and gals?  Any books you can't wait to get your hands on?  Anything you've been eagerly anticipating this time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment