Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Weekly Pull - July 6th

It's starting to look more and more like, when it comes to my comic book buying habits, June was the exception and not the rule.  I thought I was finally managing some restraint when it comes to opening my wallet on a weekly basis to satisfy my sequential storytelling fix, but these last two weeks seem to be proving the folly of that thought process.  Not only am I buying a relatively high number of books (12), a number of them are larger one-shots costing 5 or 6 dollars, if not complete trade collections running a little higher than that.  You can see the list for yourself below.

Marvel
CAP AND THOR AVENGERS #1
HEROES FOR HIRE #9 FEAR
SPIDER-GIRL #8

DC Comics
FLASHPOINT #3
FLASHPOINT BATMAN KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #2 (OF 3)
GOTHAM CENTRAL TP V2 JOKERS AND MADMEN
SECRET SIX #35
SWEET TOOTH #23

Other Companies
BLUE ESTATE #4
CHEW #19
GREEN WAKE #4 (OF 5)
REED GUNTHER #2
TRAILBLAZER

Once again, it's hard to say what I'm most excited for. I'm awfully tempted to go with Secret Six #35, since it remains the best series DC is publishing at present, even if there are only two more issues (including this one). Of course, the release of the second Gotham Central trade is also means for celebration. This is one of the best series DC has ever published, in my opinion, and I'm glad to see that it's getting a re-release so that I can finally own every single issue. That being said, more Sweet Tooth and more Chew is always a good thing, so those should be some good reads, as well.

There's a couple of books on this list that I'm trying out based on very little information, which is always an exciting thing. With no expectations, a book can really blow you away or really let you down. We'll see how that plays out for Cap and Thor: Avengers #1, Reed Gunther #2, and Trailblazer. I'm picking up Cap and Thor based solely on the fact that Fred Van Lente wrote it. His Taskmaster series from this year was pure brilliance, and I've been trying out most any title he's involved with to see that magic recaptured. It hasn't quite worked out thus far, but you never know. All I know about Reed Gunther is that it's an all-ages books, I missed the first issue, and the protagonist is a cowboy who rides a bear. If that last part doesn't get you the least bit excited, I don't know what will. Trailblazer came to my attention purely by accident, but it's a modern western science fiction penned by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, the two gents who have been writing Jonnah Hex for pretty much ever. Although I haven't read much of their work in that particular book, I loved what they did with Power Girl, and I'm willing to experiment a little - especially when the entire story will be told in this one-shot.

Those are my books for the week. Anything you're really looking forward to this week? Alternatively, depending on when you're reading this, anything you've already eagerly read through?

No comments:

Post a Comment