Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Weekly Pull - July 27th

So this post is purely for my own interests, to give me on online record of what I picked up last week.  Hope that's cool with you guys.  Not that you have much choice in the matter.


Marvel
CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY #620
CRIMINAL LAST OF THE INNOCENT #2
FF #7
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #666
VENOM #5

DC Comics
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #17
DETECTIVE COMICS #880
FLASHPOINT PROJECT SUPERMAN #2

Other Companies
BUTCHER BAKER RIGHTEOUS MAKER #5
INTREPIDS #5
THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN - CENTURY #2 1969
SKULLKICKERS #9

You can see my thoughts on a few of these comics over at The Weekly Crisis (if you happen to be one of what I imagine to be the incredibly few people who read this blog but not my work over there).

For the comics not covered in that link, let me say that Detective Comics #880 and Criminal: Last of the Innocent #2 were both phenomenal.  Everyone working on those books are at their absolute best.  If you missed out on either title, you are missing out on quality comic books.

My Image books (Butcher Baker, Intrepids, and Skullkickers) continue to treat me well.  I'm a little on the fence for Butcher Baker and the Intrepids, but I'll stick with them for at least a little longer.  I have no such qualms for Skullkickers.  I love that book without reservations.  Every issue is good comics.  Not necessarily classic comics, but it's damn fun, which is just as good in my opinion.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is getting more and more introverted as it goes along.  What started out as a neat idea of "what if fictional characters from the Victorian era were real?" has slowly evolved into "what if all fictional characters ever were real?  And what if they replaced some historical figures entirely?".  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the books are becoming so withdrawn into themselves that they are becoming a chore to read.

I've read a few comments calling Century "Family Guy for smart people", and I can't really contest the claim.  It used to be that these allusions served the plot, but that seems far less important than it used to be.  At this point, these references distract from the story just as often they add to it.  I'm still enjoying my time with the series, but it's not nearly as fun as it was all the way back in Volume 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment