Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Weekly Pull - September 7th

Below you can find the terrible beginnings of what I like to call "my month of buying way too many comics."  It's not a terribly catch title, but as you can see, it's hauntingly accurate.

Marvel Comics
MYSTIC #2 (OF 4)
PUNISHER #3
SPIDER-ISLAND AVENGERS #1 SPI
SPIDER-ISLAND I LOVE NEW YORK CITY #1 SPI

DC Comics
ACTION COMICS #1
ANIMAL MAN #1
BATGIRL #1
BATWING #1
DETECTIVE COMICS #1
GREEN ARROW #1
HAWK AND DOVE #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1
MEN OF WAR #1
OMAC #1
STATIC SHOCK #1
STORMWATCH #1
SWAMP THING #1
SWEET TOOTH #25

Everyone Else
ATOMIC ROBO GHOST OF STATION X #1 (OF 6
GODZILLA GANGSTERS & GOLIATHS #4 (OF 5)
MORNING GLORIES #12
REED GUNTHER #4

The Marvel purchases are within the realms of sanity, and I really dug all of those books.  Like, really, really dug them.  I was going to say which one was my favourite, but they all rank pretty well.  Mystic has been a phenomenal series that I wish more people were reading, I've been enjoying Punisher like it's nobody's business, and Spider Island is one of the best events I've read.  Ever.

The titles from the other companies are also pretty reasonable.  Godzilla has been an alright romp, although I'm losing a bit of interest as it limps towards its finale.  Morning Glories is fascinating, but if I'm going to continue buying it, I'll have to move to getting it in trade, because individual issues do virtually nothing to explain what's going on (frankly, I just read issue #13, and the answers still aren't really coming).  Reed Gunther is one of the best children's comics coming out right now.  And Atomic Robo is the best comic coming out right now.

The problem comes when you move to my DC list.  For The Weekly Crisis, I figured I could read through every single one of the New 52 that came out in September, and this is one of the worst decisions I've taken in a while.  Long story short, I read and reviewed all 52 of those titles, and there was only one that surprised me in a positive manner.  There were a ton of books that disappointed me, but only O.M.A.C. turned out to be better than expected.  And while I really like O.M.A.C., it was not worth looking at all those other awful books.  Never again.

There's also the problem that buying those books wasn't too kind to my wallet.  He's still a little upset by the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment