Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Weekly Pull - September 28th

The fun adventure never ends!  This time, we get to look at the books I picked up to close out September, and I gotta say, I was feeling particularly exhausted at this point.  DC's New 52 had been going for too long and I'd been reading too many poor to middling books, so I was feeling rather burned out.  The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that it would soon be over and that I could complain about how terrible these books were to a wide audience.

But enough about me, let's look at the books, shall we?

Marvel
CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY #622
FF #9
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #670
VENOM #7 SPI

DC Comics
ALL STAR WESTERN #1
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #19
AQUAMAN #1
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #1
BLACKHAWKS #1
FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MEN #1
FLASH #1
GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #1
I, VAMPIRE #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1
SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1
SUPERMAN #1
TEEN TITANS #1
VOODOO #1

Everyone Else
DUKE NUKEM GLORIOUS BASTARD #3
SEVERED #2

Sigh.  It's just too many DC books, and not nearly enough good ones...

Anyways, at least Marvel was kind to me this week, offering four different titles that I totally dig.  Spider-Island madness continued with Amazing and Venom, both of which were wonderful.  I've loved every moment of Brubaker and Samnee's Captian America & Bucky work.  And while I've been back and forth about FF, the ninth issue was quite the treat, so that was a plus.

Severed was a treat.  I'm really enjoying Snyder's slow build on this one.  Duke Nukem is maybe one of the most ridiculous books I've had the pleasure of reading.  It's perfectly in line with the tone of the book: hyperviolent, full of cuss words, and offensive as hell.  Love it.

American Vampire, as always, was stellar, and I enjoyed Flash, although it wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped it would be.  Aquaman, All Star Western, and Justice League Dark had their moments, but none of them were good enough to get me back for a second issue.  Everything else was a pretty big letdown.

Superman was way too wordy and boring to boot.  Teen Titans had some early promise, but lacked any real sense of direction.  Batman: The Dark Knight had bad art art, worse writing, and was like every other Batman story that's ever been told, except that this one was really cruddy.  Blawkhawks was interesting, but didn't do enough to separate itself from the dozens of other books that came out that month.  Green Lantern: New Guardians was almost interesting, except for the fact that there are three other Green Lantern books coming out at the same time.  I, Vampire was just confusing.  Savage Hawkman actually started really strong, but then ended with the main character "dying", which I can't abide.  Fury of Firestorm was actually a huge disappointment, with none of the signature Gail Simone writing that I was looking forward to.  And finally, Voodoo was terribly offensive, acting as a pathetic excuse to draw women in compromising positions.

Sigh.

Fortunately, next post will be October, where I was finally able to purchase only books that were worth a damn.  Unfortunately, the restraint I was looking for didn't quite come with that returned freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment